Underwriting Manager (4999)
Portland Metro Area, Oregon | Permanent
You'll establish and amend procedures, guidelines and other documents as needed within authority grant for division. Position encounters recurring work situations with occasional variations from the norm involving a moderate degree of complexity. Individual must be able to demonstrate the ability to make complex decisions, utilize creativity and work independently in a heavy work load environment. All work must be performed with a high degree of accuracy. Poor judgment and/or failure to follow company procedures and carry out position duties within authority grant could have a negative impact on the company image and results. Ineffective management of division will have a negative impact on morale and will create an adverse financial impact on the company.
This is a full-time opportunity.
- Oversee / audit the underwriting and risk selection process for division
- Draft / write / audit coverage terms and conditions for policies and endorsements
- Work with Underwriting Line Manager(s) to establish procedures, guidelines, goals and authority levels for division Underwriters
- Evaluate performance of Underwriting Line Manager(s) and division staff
- Analyze situations, suggest options
- Work on specifically assigned projects
- Work with Executive Management to develop, modify and execute the underwriting operational plan
- Gain knowledge to develop new or redesign existing risk products for profitable growth
- Learn and demonstrate proficient use of company proprietary systems and specific tools used to analyze and underwrite risks
- Actively continue to improve personal knowledge and practices of the insurance industry and management through work experience, in-house instruction, insurance specific designations (i.e. CPCU, CIC, etc), industry courses and workshops
- Interview, select, train and develop staff
- Meet with agents to develop relationships
- Back-up for line managers
- Extensive underwriting and claim knowledge
- Understanding of reinsurance terms, conditions and contract negotiations
- Ability to read and write contracts and documents, clearly understanding their meaning and ability to detect and correct lack of clarity
- Provide leadership in a professional manner
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of products
- Stay current on events and issues relating to industry and have the ability to move focus from one to another quickly
- Independently make complex decisions within scope of authority grant in a heavy work load environment
- Manage a small diverse staff which requires flexibility and patience
- Organized and able to maintain organization
- Effective negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Clearly communicate including verbal, writing and listening skills with Ownership, Management and other company employees from various departments as well as external parties including insureds, agents, reinsurers, regulators, vendors, and policyholders
- Understanding of reinsurance terms, conditions and pricing to assist Executive Management with reinsurance contract negotiations
- Understanding of other company functions (claims, marketing and operations)
- Possess effective communication skills including verbal, writing, and listening skills
- Understanding of industry resources such as ISO, AAIS, FC&S, Best Underwriting Guide, etc.
- Able to work independently, prioritize, delegate, utilize good judgment, common sense and meet deadlines
- Able to take initiative to address identified needs and make independent decisions
- Able to coach and encourage others with their career development
- Possess working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and must be able to function using automated tools, including company systems, email and the internet
- Effectively communicate with management and other company employees from various departments as well as external parties including customers, agents, reinsurers, vendors, regulators and policyholders
- 4 years college degree or equivalent (business subjects beneficial)
- Minimum 10 years property casualty insurance experience, with a minimum of 7 years underwriting management
- Professional insurance designations desirable (CPCU, CIC, AU, AMIM, etc), or on a clear path to completing a designation
Applicants must be fully authorized to work in the U.S. and physically be in the U.S.
CORP-to-CORP requests will NOT be entertained.
Relocation assistance will not be available for this position.
Evo is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected factor.